Friday, December 7, 2007

I'm in stitches!

Went down to visit Madelyn yesterday, hadn't seen my sister for over a month. I'd mentioned all the wool we had from the sheep up at Labrador Ridge and how I wanted to do something with it. Bless her soul (isn't that a good Southern expression?) - she volunteered to teach me to knit.

So she started me out with the big fat needles, some soft pinkish and purple yarn and proceeded to teach me the two stitches that make up knitting. After a few hours of practice, we headed for home where I could work on the yarn made from the Jacob wool. It just seems fitting to be there for the beginning, the cut hands as we sheared them and now to actually make something from that product. A labor of love if you will.

Here's what I've learned so far:

  • I can't decide if it's more like macramé with chopsticks or very, very slow weaving.
  • Never stop in the middle of the row, no matter how badly you have to pee.
  • Masturbation would still be my preferred method of making myself blind.
  • When you screw up one stitch, fix it. When you do 3/4 of the row, call it artistic license.
  • Tight is not a good thing.
  • It can take as long to roll the yarn into a ball as it does to make the project.
  • In spite of their diversity, every friend walking in the door gives the same look as they say "You're knitting?"
  • Rustic can describe more than just cabins.
Seriously, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Maybe by next Christmas, I can make Shayla a sweater.

No comments: